The meatballs are quite moist so you won’t need to add any additional sauce and can serve them over crunchy lettuce salad, with steamed broccoli or asparagus.
Ingredients (makes 4 servings)
- 0.9 lb ground pork, 20% fat (400 g / 14.1 oz)
- 1/3 average Spanish chorizo or other hard type (80 g / 2.8 oz)
- 1 large egg, free-range or organic
- 1/2 cup almond flour (50 g / 1.8 oz)
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 small white onion (70 g / 2.5 oz)
- 1 tbsp ghee or lard
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Peel and dice the onion and garlic and dice the chorizo sausage.
- Grease a large pan with ghee and add the chorizo, garlic and onion. Cook for 5-8 minutes over a medium heat or until lightly crisped up. Take off the heat and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the ground pork, egg, almond flour, paprika, cayenne pepper, ground cumin and salt.
- Mix until well combined and add the crisped up chorizo, garlic and onion from the pan using a slotted spoon.
- Using your hands, make small-medium meatballs and place on a cutting board. Heat the pan where you cooked the chorizo and onion over a medium-high heat. Once hot, add the meatballs and cook for 2 minutes.
- Once browned, turn the meatballs on the other side using a fork and cook for another 2 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium and cook for 5-10 minutes. The time depends on the size of the meatballs.
- Remove from the heat and serve immediately or let it cool down and store in the fridge for up to 5 days. To store them for longer, place in a zip-lock bag and freeze.
Nutritional values (per serving)
|of which Saturated||11.4||grams|
|Magnesium||61||mg (15% RDA)|
|Potassium||506||mg (25% EMR)|
Macronutrient ratio: Calories from carbs (3.7%), protein (24.7%), fat (71.6%)
Written by Martina Slajerova