This low-carb recipe is so quick and easy to put together (except for tying the roast, which I’m notoriously bad at!) It’s juicy and so flavoursome.
Ingredients (makes 4 servings)
- 600 g flank steak (1.3 lb)
- 100 g roasted red peppers (3.5 oz)
- 1 pack feta cheese, crumbled (200 g/ 7.1 oz)
- 1 1/2 cups baby spinach leaves (45 g/ 1.6 oz)
- sea salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 tbsp ghee or duck fat (15 ml)
- Preheat oven to 170 °C/ 340 °F. Remove the steak from the fridge.
- Lay some baking paper or cling wrap on your kitchen bench and place the flank steak on it. Cover with another sheet and pound the meat until it is thin enough to roll easily, about 1 cm/ 1/2 oz.
- Chop the baby spinach finely (you could use frozen spinach but make sure that you drain and squeeze the moister out of it). Chop the peppers.
- Arrange the flank steak flat and season well with salt and pepper. Top with the spinach, peppers and crumbled feta, leaving a couple of centimetres on the long edges.
- Starting on one long edge, roll tightly until fully enclosed. Use butcher’s string to tie tightly (I am so bad at this. Learning to do it properly is one of my goals for the next year!).
- Heat a little bit of ghee in a frying pan and sear the roast on all sides.
- Place in a roasting dish and bake for 20 minutes. Rest before serving. Store, wrapped in foil, in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Nutritional values (per serving)
435 calories; 28.4 g4.2 g 39.5 g